Benefits: This herbal combination offers you powerful immune, respiratory, and pain support. Golden Turmeric tea is a go-to for allergy season, anytime during cold and flu, and with occasional pain and inflammation. Turmeric has long been used in Ayurveda as an anti-inflammatory.
Muse de Turmeric the golden wonder- Oh golden friend how you nourish me so. You help my skin, lungs, joints and every body system glow. As I take you in as tea or curry, I think of you and stop my worry. You’ve got my back, you feed my mind, you help to protect my cells; truly you must be divine!
What you need:
- 2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons organic turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons ghee or coconut oil
- 6 slices of fresh ginger root or 2 tsp. dried ginger root
- ½ cup milk, coconut milk or milk alternative
- 4 tea bags of Tulsi-holy basil tea
- Honey to taste
- Cardamom powder (a pinch)
Directions: Simmer 2 cups of water on low with turmeric powder, fresh or dried ginger and 1 tablespoon of ghee or coconut oil for 30-45 minutes until it yields a paste (add extra water if needed). It should gently bubble, forming a beautiful reddish-brown paste. Turn off from heat, let cool and store extract paste into a glass jar. It will last up to a week.
Add ½ to 1 tablespoon of the turmeric paste to 1 cup Tulsi-holy basil tea steeped with 2-4 tea bags per cup. If you don’t have Tulsi on hand, you can use plain hot water or a respiratory tea blend.
Add 1 tablespoon of ghee or coconut oil, honey (to taste), milk or milk alternative and a pinch of cardamom powder to your turmeric and tea.
Optional herbs to add during the simmering phase: 1 tablespoon Ashwagandha or Shatavari powder, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper. Strain well before drinking if using these optional herbs!
- For the acute imbalance: Drink 1-2 cups per day for an acute imbalance such as allergies, colds, respiratory infections, or occasional pain, strain, or trauma. Stir paste often to discourage clumping at the bottom of your cup.
- If drinking for an acute imbalance, this is a large amount of turmeric per day. I don’t recommend using this for longer than one week, or every other week as needed if the issue is acute.
- As a tonic: Drink 1-2 cups at a lower serving (1/2 tbsp), per week as a tonic beverage:
- To promote a healthy response to occasional inflammation,
- To promote a regular and healthy menstruation,
- To promote healthy aging memory/focus, and,
- To reduce symptoms of acne and eczema.
If you tend to run warmer to hot, this formula of herbs is likely too heating for you. Consider adding in more cooling herbs such as mints and gotu kola to cool the formula.
Store any additional turmeric powder paste in the fridge until your next round of tea.